Benefits of spatial information include:
- improved decision making: visualisation of spatially occurring events and issues aid in evidence based decision making
- societal gains: better understanding of economic distribution and correlation of services and opportunities for society and
- enhanced development opportunities: greater ability to disseminate large datasets for spatial decision making processes and applications.
Applications and examples
- LPI SIX Portal - Survey Services Portal and State First (see image)
- Online mapping and navigation
- Weather pattern determination and forecasting: Bureau of Metrology
- Planning and sustainable infrastructure: where are services, facilities and natural assets
- Emergency planning and response
- Preservation of the environment: an understanding of the where factor with respect to the natural environment and the built environment for improved decision making
- Transport flow patterns
- Real estate sales.